The sugar cane (a complex hybrid of Saccharum spp.) cultivar improvement program for the irrigated Lower Rio Grande Valley of Texas, initiated in 1961, has expanded greatly over the past 20 years. Initially, only 8 to 12 cultivars, selected from those previously released from commercial production in Louisiana or Florida, were screened annually for their production potential in the Lower Rio Grande Valley. The current introduction and screening program is more comprehensive utilizing 1) all clones advanced from the first to the second line trials at the U. S. Sugarcane Laboratory at Houma, Louisiana; 2) the advanced "CP" assignments from the U. S. Sugarcane Field Station, Canal Point, Florida; and 3) the "L" assignments from the Louisiana Agricultural Experiment Station, Baton Rouge, Louisiana. During the period 1981-83, 191 clones were assigned Texas ("TCP") selection numbers. These clones were derived from crosses made at Canal Point but were selected in Texas from the early line trials. Only 10% of the lines selected in Texas were advanced to "CP" assignment status in Louisiana, the other 90% having been discarded. The difference in selections from a common germplasm pool was influenced by the response of clones to two contrasting environments and by the difference in selection criteria of the two programs.
Published in Journal of the American Society of Sugar Cane Technologists, Volume 5, 1985, pages 34-36.
Kresovich, S., & Breaux, R. D. (1985). Clonal selection of sugar cane for Texas and Louisiana from a common germplasm tool. Journal of the American Society of Sugar Cane Technologists, 5, 34-36.
© Journal of the American Society of Sugar Cane Technologists, 1985, American Society of Sugar Cane Technologists