Download Full Text (1.3 MB)
Land's Ford Canal was built on the west bank of the Catawba River in Chester District, South Carolina, between 1820 and 1823. The canal bypassed two miles of shoals, and accomodated a fall of 32 feet by means of two pairs of lifting locks. Archeological exploration of the canal was undertaken in December, 1969, in order to determine the shape and grade of the bed and other construction details. After reconnaissance of the canal course and surface features, eight backhoe trenches were placed across the bed and banks at selected locations. The profiles exposed in these trenches revealed less about canal construction than was desired because of changes in the flood plain of the Catawba River between 1838 and 1925. Overbank flooding primarily affected the lower third of the canal course which was built on alluvium. One relatively well preserved profile indicated a broad canal bed,with sloping walls and berms about 5 feet in height. Another key profile exposed a shallow flat-floored basin open to the canal bed and a berm built over a rammed clay core.
The South Carolina Institute of Archeology and Anthropology--University of South Carolina
Landsford Canal, Catawba River, Chester County, South Carolina, Archeology, Antiquities
Hemmings, E. Thomas, "Archeological Exploration of Land's Ford Canal Chester County, South Carolina" (1970). Research Manuscript Series. 3.