Download Full Text (3.4 MB)
Archeological investigation of a house ruin at the site of the extinct community of Cambridge, South Carolina, was completed in 1971 as part of a larger project at the site of Holmes' Fort (38GN2), one of the defensive works at the Revolutionary War Site of Ninety Six. The ruin examined consisted of the brick lined cellar of a house believed to have been constructed in the 1785 period when Cambridge first began to develop as a community. The house was moved or torn down in the late eighteenth or very early nineteenth century, and the cellar hole was subsequently used as a refuse dump until sometime prior to 1820. Examination of the ruin indicated the structure's lifespan correlates with the known period of growth and decline of the community and provided detailed information on construction phases and details of the cellar. An important by-product of the excavation was the recovery of an unusually large and varied assemblage of late eighteenth and early nineteenth century creamware and pear1ware ceramics as well as a wide assortment of temporally corresponding artifacts of many categories, including other ceramic types. On a wider front, the investigations have provided insight into the cultural development of the Carolina backcountry in the post-Revolutionary period and have added an important comparative component for the examination of earlier periods of the site's history.
The South Carolina Institute of Archeology and Anthropology--University of South Carolina
Excavations, Ninety-Six, South Carolina, Archeology
Baker, Steven G., "A House on Cambridge Hill (38GN2): An Excavation Report" (1972). Research Manuscript Series. 23.