Download Full Text (2.8 MB)
This report presents the results of limited archaeological testing at Wappetaw Independent Church (38CHI682), Charleston County, South Carolina. Wappetaw was founded by a group of 51 Congregationalist emigrants from New England, who arrived in the Carolinas around 1696. The primary focus of documentary research for this project was the earliest years of settlement; settlement patterning and motivations for immigration are examined. Archaeologically, remains of the last church to occupy the site (ca. 1783-1897) were securely identified, and a tentative reconstruction of the foundation of this structure is provided. Evidence of earlier structures was also encountered, and indicates that at least one earlier church stood on the property. Archaeological evidence confirms documentary data that this earlier church was occupied by British forces during the American Revolution, and tends to confirm that it was burned at the time of their departure.
The South Carolina Institute of Archeology and Anthropology--University of South Carolina
Excavations, Churches, Wando Neck, Charleston County, South Carolina, Archeology
Clement, Christopher Ohm and Grunden, Ramona M., ""Where the Wappetaw Independent Congregational Church Stood...", Archaeological Testing at 38CH1682, Charleston County, SC" (1998). Research Manuscript Series. 201.