Beginning in the late fall of 1862 the Confederate Army defending Charleston began work on a line of earthworks and batteries across James Island, South Carolina, from Secessionville to the Stono River. The lines were called the "New Lines" to distinguish them from other lines built in 1861. Today, approximately 3,000 feet of these lines still exist in very good condition on a 17.3 acre tract of land that represent a portion of the Dill Tract. The tract and earthworks (archaeological site 38CH 195) are part of a noncontiguous district listed on the National Register of Historic Places and are owned by the City of Charleston. The City desires to protect and manage the earthworks in a manner that will allow for public visitation. This plan presents a preservation and interpretive plan for earthwork management. This plan is accompanied by an Interpretive Trail Map as a separate document.
Arrangements are currently being made to scan the Interpretive Trail Map, and it will be posted along with this report when the scanning has been completed.
This report, funded by American Battlefields Protection Program, National Park Service, Washington, D.C., was prepared by the South Carolina Institute of Archaeology and Anthropology at the University of South Carolina for the Department of Parks, City of Charleston, South Carolina.
Published in 2000.
© 2000, University of South Carolina--South Carolina Institute of Archaeology and Anthropology.
Smith, S. (2000). Preservation and Interpretive Plan for the Dill Tract Civil War Earthworks on James Island, South Carolina. University of South Carolina--South Carolina Institute of Archaeology and Anthropology.